- Say, Just don’t fall in love with me.
- Be unavailable.
- Say that you aren’t ready for a relationship.
- Declare that you have no intention of dating and/or falling in love.
Rumor has it that all of these work. I’ve had so many friends who claimed that lovers came out of the woodwork when one of these happened. Maybe this works. I know that every time I declare a dating moratorium I seem to fall headlong into a relationship, to mixed results.
But here’s a novel approach to love:
- We fall head over heels in love with ourselves.
- We enjoy our lives, regardless of relationship status.
- We stop looking for love.
- We keep our hearts open.
- We pay attention to red flags and actually heed them.
- We stop prioritizing people who make us an option.
- We quit playing games.
- We are authentically ourselves all the time.
- We invest in our friendships and interests.
Maybe it doesn’t seem like doing any of these things will make someone else fall in love with us, but the truth is that we can’t force it to happen. But we can live full lives. We can choose to focus on the people we love and do the things that bring us joy. We can stop wasting our time waiting to fall and start falling in love with our lives right now and the people in them. We can make sure that we’re not sitting in life’s waiting room when there is so much joy to be had.